Monday, November 21, 2016

Day 66: The sun'll come out tomorrow... and then set at 4pm because of daylight savings time...

Hey all! Since last week's post was pretty serious, I'm gonna try and lighten things up by focusing on what I've been working on here, since I'm still as busy as ever. It's starting to get a little chilly, but definitely not that bad at all compared to Pennsylvania, and on days when it doesn't rain it's downright lovely. Luckily my mom sent me a box full of my coats and scarves so I can run around Vienna in style...
I don't remember why I was making this face. I think I was just trying to entertain myself between classes at the Graphische...

News to this Los Angeles Jew: Christmas in Vienna is a really big deal! While Beverly Hills might string up some perfunctory pretty lights around Christmas time, that's nothing compared to the ubiquitous Christmas markets popping up all over Vienna--including on the University of Vienna's campus. I've begun visiting some of them--not always specifically, but I've nosed around if I happen to walk into one. These markets consist of little hut-stalls that sell giant beautiful pastries, winter scarves and hats, candles, candy, Christmas ornaments, etc. I haven't seen any places selling giant Christmas trees, but seeing as it's not even December yet, Vienna's got a good head start on the holiday cheer thing. 
Pretty lamps... which I have no use for...
Pastries stand...
Close-up glamour shot of the pastries... which need to "get in my belly" ASAP...

On Monday night, some Fulbrighters/TAs met for drinks in the Museumsquartier, which at this time of year has a wintry beer garden type of situation set up, where you can get mulled wine, hot punch, and little snacks while you stand around and enjoy the holiday cheer. On Thursday night, I was walking to my class at the University when I was floored by what was happening on the campus--not only have they set up the little stalls for their Christmas market, but they also have rides. It's so weird to see that happening on a college quad because while Swarthmore might have indulged in a rock-climbing wall and a slip-n-slide for celebratory fun times, they definitely didn't rig up a small Ferris wheel or a spinning-teacup type of ride! (Not really a problem for me since I don't do Ferris wheels, but I'm just saying...)
Museumsquartier: Christmas stylez.
I find myself always being the selfie-taker because I'm tall and have long arms and also I'm the one to suggest it, so...
Yep. This is on the university campus. 

In terms of research/academic stuff going on, I have two interviews scheduled this week. Tomorrow, I'm meeting with Oz Almog, a Jewish artist I proposed working with in my Fulbright application, and on Wednesday after work I'm meeting with Lilly Habelsberger, a Sinti artist who participated in the Romane Thana show with Robert Gabris, with whom I previous spoke. I also started sending in graduate school applications, so at least the hard part of that is over with. Now comes the waiting... and the waiting.... and the (hopeful but scary) interviews... then more waiting. So. We'll see. 

Random quotidian stuff that happened to me this week:
  • I got my hair trimmed (finally) and only cried a little bit inside when the lady's scissors were sharp on my delicate soft neck-flesh. 
  • I saw Doctor Strange in theaters (not great, highly overrated) and Rabbit Without Ears on Netflix. The latter is a mid-2000s German romantic comedy and was pretty cute, albeit pretty silly, but it's also good for me to practice listening to more conversational German in general.
  • A few of my new reviews have gotten published! You can check out all of my published writing so far here. I've also got three to four freelances pieces that I'm hoping to get published at various stages of edit, so I'll post info about those if they end up getting accepted!
  • Tonight I'm meeting with some Fulbright and TA friends at the Sofitel bar for drinks, because a few of us have November birthdays! (Someone please tell me if "smart casual" is the same is "business casual"?)
(As always, if you want to express your love for me with material goods, my Amazon wishlist is here, my main site is here, and if you want to see many, many photographs of me and of Vienna, my Instagram is here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment